With a mixed method cross-sectional design utilizing both quantitative and qualitative data collection techniques, this study explored licensing practices for 1119 private facilities in 42 geographic locations through conducting an embracive census. The study also assessed the compliance to the required conditions of licensing and readiness of private health facilities and utilization of MNCH services in a subset from the census. The study found that 86% of the private facilities had a license any time before the assessment, and the rest 14% never received a license. Of the total facilities, 6% had a valid license on the day of the visit, and 79% had an expired license. Geographically, 76% of facilities located in municipality areas applied for either a new license or a renewal, compared to only 54% facilities in city corporation areas who submitted the license application. The study also found that unavailability of “Rules” to support 1982 ordinance and inadequate HR were main system level challenges. For facility owners, key challenges were short validity period, lengthy process and multiple pre-requisites for obtaining license.
Most of the private health facilities have adequate floor space per bed, availability of an air-conditioned OT and at least one specialist doctor. Conditions on infection prevention, essential equipment and essential medicines were substantially poor. Availability of fulltime doctors at recommended bed ratio was low too. On readiness to maternal and newborn care, the study found that private facilities’ readiness to provide maternal and newborn was poor, worse in smaller facilities.
- Explore licensing practices for private facilities and compliance with required conditions
- Assess readiness of private health facilities and utilization of MNCH services
12 city corporations and 10 districts
- Directorate General of Health Services
- Director General of Hospitals
DATE OF RESULTS DISSEMINATION
30 September 2020
SK Masum Billah firstname.lastname@example.org
Licensing status and MNCH services readiness at private facilities findings presentation
A brief on the assessment of licensing status and readiness of MNCH services at private facilities study
Journalist circle: Licensing challenges in private health facilities in Bangladesh, findings from an assessment
POLICY BRIEF – Private health facilities: Licensing challenges and MNH readiness